Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Typical Munich, or Typical Cliché?


A recently opened exhibit at the Munich City Museum explores this very question. As part of the 850 year anniversary celebration, the city has installed “Typical Munich” into the permanent collection, and explores these popular images – Weisswurst, the Frauenkirche, and pretzels – and investigates the many things that get lost behind these iconic images. Part of the exhibit will highlight 45 local films that were filmed across 10 decades, that focus on Munich as its centerpiece. Perhaps they will hit on some of the other classic themes in Munich – Lederhosen & dirndls, fast cars, and lots & lots of beer. What has been your typical Munich experience?

2 comments:

Jul said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Only having been here 6 months, I wonder how many "typical Munich" things I won't have heard of yet...

Flo Bretzel said...

I saw the exhibition but was a little bit desappointed. The affiche was more attractive than the exhibition itself.
As far as I'm concerned, I make everyday typical Munich new experiences with food!