Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

Munich Pop History Day 2: As I understand the story, way back around the time that Munich was founded, the real Bavaria powerhouse was the city of Freising – which is currently a suburb of Munich located just North of the airport but was founded 500 years earlier. Freising grew into a city because it possessed the one bridge that crossed the Isar River, and thus controlled the salt trade coming from nearby Salzburg into Western Germany and France. When Henry the Lion founded Munich, he burnt the bridge at Freising in order to create a new market town in Munich, which was in his duchy. By charging a toll for passing, Henry built Munich into a viable city. Munich surrounded the monestary of Trappist monks, who built their parish at the present day site of Alte Peter, which is just beyond Marienplatz. The shift was a defining moment for Munich’s history, and the bridge stood near the present day Isartor Gate, which is the home of the Deutches Museum and the Volksbad (pictured here).

2 comments:

Eve in Munich said...

Hi Troy, I really like this series you are doing. Your history knowledge is not only good but entertaining as well. I can use your blog as a reference when I have folks from the US visiting here. Keep up the good work. You must be professional in the field of journalism or media. I am enjoying seeing "my" Munich through your eyes. Have a nice weekend, Eve

Eve in Munich said...

Hi Troy, I really like this series you are doing. Your knowledge of Munich history is not only good but entertaining as well. You must be a professional in the field of journalism or media. Anyway, I will be using your blog as a reference when I have folks from the USA visiting over here. Keep up the good work. I enjoy seeing "my" Munich through your eyes. Have a nice weekend, Eve