Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Foot-Long Fever

Why is it that the things that get exported from your home country are rarely the things you are generally proud of. Think about the most visible exports from the US – McDonalds, Budweiser, Marlboro. Subway is another one. It’s clearly not the best sandwiches, yet it’s super successful. Subway has 24 stores in Munich (this one on Gabelsbergerstrasse), more than 700 in Germany and more than 30,000 worldwide, covering more than 89 countries. Most are operated as franchises. Subway first ventured outside of North America in 1984, and now has more than 10,000 restaurants internationally. So know that you can pick up your foot long turkey sub in 31 locations in Saudi Arabia, 135 in Venezuela, 20 in Iraq, or 8 in Hong Kong. Of course, Munich is no stranger to investment from American companies. You can find the following companies with large offices in Munich – Amazon, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel, Kraft, Merck, Microsoft, Motorola, National Semiconductor, Sun, Texas Instruments, Wrigley, yahoo and many more..

3 comments:

Dubai Photo Story said...

Hey.... I think Subway makes one of the best (healthiest) sandwiches!!! And we have one of those at every corner in Dubai!!

:-)

Dev's said...

I travel frequently to Munich and have been enjoying your blog. I still remember , it was in 2003 that I bumped into someone searching for a "Subway" at the Munich Railway station. He told me that the read somewhere that there was one at the Hbf and was looking for it! I don't think he was successful.

Troy said...

I walk through the Central Station nearly every day, and I have to say that I've never seen a Subway there.