Thursday, February 7, 2008

Art Nouveau in Munich

Although Art Nouveau was created in Paris around the beginning of the 20th century, it found a strong following in many countries around Western Europe, including Belgium, Austria, and Germany. Known as Jugendstil from the base word Jugend or youth, Munich was considered the center of the German art nouveau movement with popular artists like Otto Eckmann, and Richard Riemerschmid. These karyatid type sculptures are located on what today is a non-descript building with retail shops on Theatinerstr in the altstadt or old town. However, most of the Art Nouveau architecture in Munich can be found in the Schwabing neighborhood, known as an artists meca during the turn of the century.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Great shot! The lines in this photo are very nice and the lighting is just right.

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

I totally agree!!!

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful shot!

I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to see a Munich DP blog - my sister has lived in Munich (but now lives a little way out) for several years now, and it's the only German city I know. I'm looking forward very much to seeing more of your photos!

Jackie
Glasgow Daily Photo

The D in D & T said...

Amazing shot, very interesting angle. All your photos are really great. You are one of my favorite DP blogs.
Thanks very much for the link.

Kim said...

These are just exquisite! Thanks for showing them. I love your POV in this shot. I hope someday you'll also be able to post some shots from the neighborhood known for its Jugend art.
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo