Sunday, April 13, 2008

Order Over Chaos

If there is one thing that is paramount in Germany, it’s order. You see it when you’re driving – just try to pass someone in the city without getting honked at, or try driving slow in the left lane. You see it when you’re walking – as most everyone waits at the stop light, even if traffic is not coming. And you certainly see it in the way people think, work, and even play. This funny scene with four crosswalk signs in one intersection gives a small glimpse of that order. As long as you don't step out of line, you'll fit in fine.

4 comments:

Chuck Pefley said...

I'm just so confused I can't decide which way to walk!

kidsisme said...

Great site! Learned so much in just the 20 or so minutes I spent looking around.

Holly said...

Oh, I know! With 2 kids in tow, we recently crossed the street when it was about to turn red. Of course there were no cars in sight and no danger to be seen. HOWEVER, a grumpy German Grandma waiting on the opposite curb decided to reprimand me, shaking her finger and pointing to my poor, helpless children who should be better cared for. I made the mistake of telling this story to a German friend of mine later that day, laughing about this old woman's reprimand. My friend just looked at me blankly and said, "I learned to cross the street properly when I was very young." HUH?

Ann (MobayDP) said...

I'm standing beside chuck pefley. lol.