A quick view on the base of one of Munich’s more prominent sculptures – the Angel of Peace. Situated on Prinzregenten Strasse, the tower and sculpture were erected in 1895 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Peace of Versailles and to honor the Bavarian army. The monument, consisting of a 75 ft Corinthian column and topped with a gilded bronze figure of an angel, was actually modeled after Nike, the Greek goddess of victory at Olympia. The monument stood unchanged until a restoration in the early 80s. The park land where the monument is situated is actually one of the nicest in Munich, with its winding path ways and views overlooking the Isar river The park was actually built back in 1857, when King Magmillian commissioned Carl von Effner to develop a badly eroded bank of the river, and transformed it into an unforgettable part of the city landscape.